My how things change in an instant. Instead of preparing to transfer out of ICU we are preparing for surgery #2.
Long story short: Cultures from fluid taken out of B's head from today is still growing live bacteria, meaning the antibiotic isn't working as well as they'd thought. It is some how not reaching the brain fluid quickly.
Solution: put another reservoir in B's head on the other side (surgery #2) and flush antibiotic directly into one reservoir and out the other. Direct antibiotic to the brain fluid will kill the bacteria faster and more effectively. This is the theory at least. The neurosurgeon has only done a double reservoir a handful of times and with good results.
So we are preparing for B to go back to the operating room tomorrow afternoon (29th). This is a hard decision for us but we need to do what's best for B. He is still intubated (breathing tube) from the first surgery in preps for #2. Hopefully we can get it out quickly after his second operation.
Praying for a safe surgery and a successful antibiotic treatment!
When B was sick in the NICU I never would post pictures, they were scary to me. Breathing tubes, IV's, it's a lot to look at. But this is our reality. No parent should ever have to see there child like this, it's heartbreaking. I'm not sure how we do it. Some days I charge through and some days (like today) I'm a mess. One step at a time I guess.
"Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work; you don't give up" -Anne Lamott